22 May 2011

Ca' Mazzetto


Well, hello. I apologize for my prolonged absence here on the interweb. I haven't had access to the internet for some time now... But I'm in Gubbio for my day off and I thought I would update you all about my last farm Ca' Mazzetto.
The farm is located on a hill a few kilometers from the town of Valfabbrica... and the view is horrendous (not). Here on the farm, they have a couple hundred sheep and grow a variety of cereal crops. The sheep are raised primarily for their milk, which is sold to a local cheese producer, or made into raw milk peccorino here on the farm. In addition to the farm, They have a family run agritourismo and a restaurant.
My tasks on the farm have included making cheese (and ricotta), raking cut grass to feed to the sheep, stacking hay, helping out in the restaurant, and occasionally herding wayward sheep back to the barn.

That's about all of the writing I'm going to do for this post, I think I'll let the photos speak for themselves (ok, I'll put cations to clarify things too).
The house and agritourismo
My room

A small portion of the incredible view

More view

Even more view (This is wheat I believe)

The machine that cuts grass, and the road leading to the house
I the red tractor and a few wayward sheep

The occasional spectacular thunderstorm rolls through. For the record... I love thunderstorms.

Weighing peccorino

The finished product, packaged and ready for sale.

Sheep, on their way home

The one of cats likes to hang out on my window sill
The only kitten that will let me approach it (there are 5 )

Even more view

Thanks for reading... More updates soon.

Ciao.

2 comments:

  1. I like cheese!

    My only experience with sheep (male lambs actually) was in South Dakota and it involved trying to catch them and drag them to one of my uncles who would relieve them of their testicles. It also involved wearing a lot of sheep poop. Yours seems a much more pleasant experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, that cheese looks sooooo good. Do happy sheep make happy cheese?

    ReplyDelete