14 April 2011

Localita il Piano: Week 1

I don't have time to do a huge post before I head back to the farm. I'll just throw up some select pictures from the farm. Check out their website here.

Update: I'm adding some captions so that you can all know what these are even pictures up.

My first Sunday at the farm, Darcy and Adolfo put on a class about edible wild plants along with lunch for 34 people.
A sweet dessert.... ricotta, kale, and red bud flowers

The lunch menu.

Quite a spread.

Wild asparagi.

Adolfo with a lot of wild greens. Darcy displaying asparagus in the background.
I took a walk around the farm. It is disgustingly beautiful. No?

Red bud flowers on the tree

The sign for the farm

Tree tag


On Monday, Molly (another WOOFer) and I had the morning off. We walked up to Paterno (a 12th c. town above the farm) and to Montefiorello.



A house in Paterno
Loc. Il Piano from Paterno

Me in from of the Piede di San Giusto, outside of Paterno

A roadside shrine, just outside of Montefiorello


A road in Montefiorello

Best road sign ever

On Tuesday, we made goat cheese and Jesus Muffins (a recipe in the farm's WWOOFer Cookbook)

Everyone knows Jesus loves muffins


Molly gathering curds

Molly pressing the cheese into a mold to remove water

Me skimming ricotta

More ricotta

On Tuesday afternoon, we helped Darcy in her garden. These red bugs had invaded the kale, turnips, and arugula. Seriously, they were fucking everywhere, in that, there were hundreds of them and they were mating.

On Wednesday, we hiked down to Piedipaterno (The village below their farm).

Gialso (Mulberry) thought we were bringing him snacks

The hike up from Piedipaterno

The church in Piedipaterno
On the way back up the hill, we ran into Darcy on her way to tend the animals.
Darcy giving goats snacks

Darcy milking goats

Goose eggs are big.

4 comments:

  1. Nick had limited time in town so I'll make a few comments on the pictures of what I know. He was in charge of getting those red beatles off some trees or plants. See jar picture! I think some bottom pictures are of them making goat cheese and the egg on the bottom is a goose egg. I believe their chicken population is gone due to predators. I love that donkey in the picture. I can totally identify with the picture of Adolpho showing how much the greens shrink down when cooked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How were Jesus' muffins?!

    That donkey is adorable. Everything is so beautiful! I can't wait to be there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being the owner of Nick's favorite internet cafe, "The Haerr Hotspot", I've had the pleasure of hearing, first hand, the tales of the farm from both Nick and Molly. I can tell you they are loving it. And the hard work must be good for them because they look very healthy and happy. Thanks for the captions on your photos Nick. The redbug one made me laugh out loud. Wow. Continue to love it all. What an opportunity. A presto!

    ReplyDelete